5/27/2010

School's OUT for SUMMER & Teacher Gift Tutorial!



Here is a comparison from the first day and the last...think he grew?  Well, he for sure grew 4 new teeth :)

Like the pink bag Trent's got?  Keep reading to see what's inside...

I made Trent's teacher a special end of the year "Thank You" gift the eve of the last day of school.


I found the idea here.  It went together very quickly...cause you all know I'm a major procrastinator!  I think it turned out great though!  Trent said she REALLY liked it...I would have liked something like this...a lot more that the little chachkies I got from the dollar store when I taught 4th grade!  Just sayin!
I found the 8X8 inch shadow box at walmart for about $8.  I printed off his teacher's name on a piece of card stock then trimmed it down to size.  I also printed off a separate piece of paper with an "L" to help me trim the crayons to the right size and shape.
I hot glued them in place.  I put the hot glue right on the paper of the crayon and it worked well.  I wasn't sure if it would melt the wax, but I didn't have a problem at all.
I think I'll be making lots more of these in the coming years!
(I googled these crayon shadowboxes and I found an Etsy shop where you can buy them for 40 dollars, yikes!  Mine cost less than $10 and was super easy and quick to make!)

We also wrote her a note and sealed it to the back with contact paper.

So, what do you think?  It would be cute in a craft or kids room, too!

5 comments:

Amy Murphy said...

That is an awesome idea!!!! How neat!!! You are amazing!

Ruth Palmer said...

I made these for my girl's teachers for Christmas, except I used just 5x7 frames I got at Walmart (fairly nice wooden black ones). I used crayons for Jenna's teacher, and colored pencils for Kenzie's teacher since it was 2nd grade & they don't use as many crayons. They both turned out so cute, although I never thought to take a picture :)
I didn't think to print out a big letter to help with the size of the crayons/colored pencils...or the layout for that matter. It was really hard to do an "S" for Kenzie's teacher!

Christy said...

This is SO cool! I hope I can remember it for next year - too late this time around. We did B&BW stuff and it was good, but the costs add up quickly!

The Caldwells said...

awesome gift idea!! we still a month to go, i may have to do that! thanks :)

The Hagens said...

loved catching up on your new posts! your teacher gift was great, sure it will be treasured always. your boys are so cute, and i love the ninja comment. ah, the world of a little boy...