4/12/2011

Behind the Name

Those of you who where curious…who asked…know that Mike and I had a hard time finding a name we both really liked. Even at the hospital I found myself looking at him and saying, “I think we’re going to go with…” When Emilie was born Mike said whatever you want…you decide. He favored her middle name more for the first name, but I couldn’t come up with a middle name I really liked. So for lack of time and any other options, really, Emilie Alyse stuck. I want to share with you about her name. I’ve always enjoyed researching the meanings and I wanted her name to “mean” something too. Although I wasn’t thrilled with the meaning of Emilie (industrious) it was the one name Mike and I agreed on. Alyse (noble) was a little better and when I put together and heard it flow, I just liked it. We talked with the boys about what her nickname could be and they both approved calling her Emi for short.

And of course I went back and forth (usually while lying in bed, wishing my mind would stop going, and I would just fall asleep) about how to spell her name. I wanted it to be unique – I liked Emilie with and –ie, because when I look at it, it reminds me of “Smile” and I thought that would always be a good reminder for me. I chose Alyse (common spelling = Elise) with an “A” more because I didn’t want her initials to spell “Eek!” I know, right, I spent way too much time obsessing about the possibilities!

I really wanted to tie a spiritual meaning into her name since we didn’t choose a “biblical” name. I began thinking about what my prayer for our daughter would be. I thought industrious/noble…and thought humble servant, servant of Christ…that’s what I want my daughter to be! When I was clearing out the office room to make room for all the baby stuff, I picked up this big oversized pillow/bean bag my very first class of 4th graders made for me. Each student put there handprint on it and on the back one of the moms wrote out Ecc. 9:10 – which was the verse from the bulletin board I made for the beginning of the year. It says, “Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.” Solomon reminds us here that we must grasp life’s opportunities and use them to the fullest in serving God. It was an “Ah, ha” moment – Yes, that’s it, that’s her name.

And I prayed…

“Lord,

Whatever Emilie’s hand finds to do, help her to do it with all her might – for YOU!”

“EMILIE ALYSE KONING”
  Born still
April 7, 2011
4:40pm
4lbs 6oz, 19 1/2in

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You've been in my prayers for a long time, and my heart has been aching for you hearing the news about your little daughter. I hope that God has wrapped your family in His peace.

aje said...

Kristin, Thanks so much for sharing this with us. I cried as I read this post and saw the picture of precious little Emilie Alyse. I have been praying for you, as you have been on my heart continuously. I will continue to pray for you, Mike and the boys. I pray that you feel Jesus' loving arms around you. I pray that the Lord would give you a beautiful picture of Emilie being held safe in the arms of Jesus! Lots of love from Tajikistan!!!!!

Cottonista said...

What a beautiful little girl. I am so sorry you had to say goodbye! My heart is absolutely sick for you and your family. Praying for us all!

The Hagens said...

My heart is breaking for you. My prayers are with you constantly during these overwhelmingly difficult days.

The Caldwells said...

Kristin.... I just don't know where to begin. You are an amazing woman. Mike (though I've never met him, but to be married to you and to walk this road with you....) is an amazing man. Please know that we are praying for you... God's hand is so evident on your life because without Him, I'm sure there is no way you could've written another post about a precious child who has gone on to Heaven. I love the name and the reasons for Emilie Alyse's name. Beautiful head of hair! Praying for you always. Really.

ReedAllAboutUs said...

Kristin,
I do not know you, but am a friend of Krista Caldwell's. I just finished reading your amazing book about your precious Noah. My mind cannot even grasp how you have endured 2 more losses. But that is just it, God is the only explanation; and, you have lovingly given testimony of His the grace and strength that only our amazing Heavenly Father can provide. My heart goes out to you and Mike. Please take comfort that (though strangers) your fellow brothers and sister in Christ are lifting you up in prayer.

ReedAllAboutUs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. I found your blog early on in my pregnancy and stopped by for the first time in a long time not knowing you were expecting again. My heart sank in my chest when I saw your most recent post. I'm in disbelief. How could this happen again? I admire your strength and courage to go on. Emilie Aylse, a beautiful name for a beautiful baby girl.