9/15/2009

What's for Dinner???

Since I've been working at the Y in the afternoons I've been trying to increase my repertoire of crock-pot recipes. It's not so fun to get off at 5 or 6:00 and rush home to get dinner started while trying to ignore calm two tired and hungry children...oh, whose kidding, myself included! I've made this before, and my little boys and I like it with rice, so it's a good excuse for me to crack out my no-stick rice cooker!! (Thanks mom!)

So...We're having...

Salsa Chicken

4 chicken breasts
1 package of Taco seasoning
1/2 c. salsa
2 T. corn starch
1/4 c. sour cream

Spray crock-pot with Pan. Place chicken, seasoning and salsa in crock-pot. (I stirred my salsa and seasoning together first, but you don't have to.) Cook 6-8 hours on high (though I've found it's done in 3 or 4). Before serving remove chicken and add the corn starch to sauce to thicken. After it's thickened add the sour cream. Pour back over chicken. Serve over rice, potatoes, or noodles. YUMMY and EASY!!

So in the name of broadening my horizons, would you please share your favorite crock-pot recipe with me??? Mike and the boys will thank you, no doubt!!

5 comments:

Shirley Glover said...

We just found this one - which we love. Chicken Breasts (we use three or four) One can of cheddar cheese soup, two cans of cream of chicken soup. Do not dilute the soup. Low for 6-8 hours. We added in seasonings such as onion and garlic. It can be served over Rice or noodles, but our favorite is mashed potatoes.

Amy Murphy said...

I found this soup in the Fix It and Forget It Light cookbook. I love it!
3 C water, 1 C diced ham, 5 med. potatoes diced, 8 oz. fat-free cream cheese cubed, half a chopped onion, 1 tsp garlic salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp dill weed; throw it all in, cook on high for 4 hours

Shelly Walters said...

One of my kids' favorites...Swiss Steak. Family pack of cube steak (or larger for leftovers,) 1 can cream of mushroom soup, one can French onion soup. Put about 1/2 cup flour on wax paper and season to taste with garlic powder, salt and pepper. Cut meat into 2 inch pieces and dredge in flour mixture. Put in crockpot. Cover with soups (undiluted) and cook on low all day (6-8 hrs.) I serve this with potatoes as the soups/flour together make a nice gravy.

Another favorite is beef stew...Buy the McCormick beef stew for slow cookers packet of seasoning and follow instructions.

One more...Whole chicken. Buy on sale, thaw and rinse inside and out. Season with salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder....whatever you like. Put in crockpot for the day (6-8 hrs on low) and add about a cup of water. It's a lot like the rotisserie chickens at the store but a lot more for your money. Serve with whatever you like with chicken!

Sarah said...

This is a favorite...Sour Cream pork chops really tender. Good with rice or potatoes and steamed veggies: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sour-Cream-Pork-Chops/Detail.aspx

Also, you can slow cook chicken breasts with BBQ sauce for about 5-6 hours, then mash with potato masher. It becomes yummy shredded BBQ chicken for sandwiches.

Anonymous said...

Sean and I love this recipe for crock-pot chili. 2 lbs. ground beef browned (we usually use ground turkey...it adds a little bit sweeter taste), 2-28 oz. cans diced tomato, 1-29 oz.can tomato sauce, chopped onion, chopped celery, chopped green pepper, 1/4 c. chili powder, 1 1/2 t. garlic powder, 1/2 t. dried oregano, 1/2 t. white sugar, 1/8 t. cayenne pepper, 2 c. canned chili beans. I throw it all in the crock-pot before work and let it cook on low all day. It seems like a lot of ingredients, but most of it you just open up a can and dump it in. Add some shredded cheese on top and it's delicious!
Molly :)